Travellers curious about Mauritian culture will simply adore Lakaz Chamarel Exclusive Lodge, an eco-chic boutique guesthouse, nestled at the heart of nature in the southwest region of the island between Black River Gorges Nature Reserve and the village of Chamarel. Each of the hotel’s lakaz - Creole term denoting a comfy room or suite – carries its own name, inspired by the local myths and literature, or historic characters from the Mauritian melting pot. They are individually decorated with wood, wrought iron or bamboo furnishings with paintings by local artists, old photographs, Indian tapestries and African prints adorning the walls. These elegant rooms and suites give onto tropical gardens or have stunning views of the valley and sea.
Lakaz Chamarel is your starting point for dozens of hikes and trails around the island – the knowledgeable and helpful staff can help plan your outing. Just five minutes’ walk from your doorstep is View Point, for a splendid panorama of the surroundings. You may also trek to Piton Canot from the estate or borrow bicycles and cycle downhill to Baie du Cap, a remote and charming coastal village, with its quiet seaside beach. Next stop, further south to Le Morne, another of Mauritius’ most beautiful coastlines, for a dip in the warm sea and repose in the shade of the swaying filao trees.
Breakfast is a veritable feast, as is every meal, and you are in for a discovery of delicious buffets and dishes reminiscent of the past – much like grandmother’s cooking. Fresh local produce is used in preparing meals according to traditional recipes – some of the vegetables even come from the hotel’s own vegetable garden.
Lakaz Chamarel is a charming eco-tourist destination that will plunge you into the verdant tropical forest that is part of the island’s natural beauty. You could not possibly stay in a more inviting and sensual retreat.
- 3 Standard Lakaz of 50 m² – Lakaz Feraye, Lakaz Dibois and Lakaz Bamboo – overlook a swimming pool, each with its own unique identity. Whether you are fond of wrought iron, wood or bamboo, you will thoroughly enjoy these comfortably decorated room.
Capacity: 2 adults + 1 child
- 4 Superior Lakaz of 60 m² are called Lakaz Sup Namasté, Lakaz Tropikal, Lakaz Zen, and Lakaz Afrika, and reside next to a second swimming pool. A more sophisticated décor characterises these rooms which are designed in Indian or African styles, and which offer an outdoor shower each.
Capacity: 2 adults + 1 child, or 3 adults
- 9 Garden Pool Suites styled as private Lakaz are true havens of peace. They each have a private swimming pool, providing full relaxation and tranquillity. With a surface area of 95 m², the Suites have garden and mountain views, and are equipped with a double shower open to the sky.
- 5 Sea View Pool Suites have an area of 110 m², and offer a peaceful holiday setting at the heart of the tropical vegetation. These suites offer sea views, each with its own private pool and outdoor shower.
- The Exclusive Piton Canot Suite is a unique tropical retreat. With an area of 120 m², it offers more space than the others along with breathtaking view of the ocean. It has a private pool, a gazebo, and an outdoor shower open to the sky.
Capacity of All Suites: 2 adults + 2 children, or 3 adults
The restaurant of Lakaz Chamarel is located next to the reception area, and open for breakfast (7:45 to 10:30) and for dinner as from 19:00 (alternating buffet or menu). You may also order a lunchtime meal in advance. The restaurant boasts a small wine cellar and an additional terrace, which has been recently added
You are also free to dine away from the hotel and discover other very good restaurants of the Chamarel region, among the most reputed of Mauritius.
Half board is included in your room package.
You may add an extra Lakaz Formula (advance booking required) which includes:
There is no play area for children but you can request a babysitting service with a supplementary fee. Children (6 years +) or teenagers who wish to take part in nature walking or mountain biking are welcome with their parents. The dinner time for the children is from 18:30 to 19:30 only. No children in the restaurant after 19:30.
NEARBY (With Supplement)
The 20˚ Sud is a sumptuous boutique hotel nestled on a private coconut-lined beach near Pointe aux Canonniers in the [...]
As from €855
With its sugar white beach fringed with palm trees and its unordinary lagoon brimming with aquatic life, the Angsana Ihuru [...]
As from €1575
Bakwa Lodge encourages one to escape to a simpler, more relaxed way of life. To reach this eco-chic guest house [...]
As from €915
In the Maldivian language, Vabbinfaru designates a circular island surrounded by a ring-shaped coral reef. A turquoise lagoon, a horizon [...]
As from €2295